I'm sitting on a full plane, trying to sleep but I can't. The sun is beaming, in through the window, on my friends face, who has the seat next to me. To her left sits a woman with long nails, typing on her computer. I take a moment to crane my neck around to survey the plane. People sleeping, talking, reading, and eating. I can only image where people are going; whether going home to after a long work week or to visiting family for Christmas.
Ahhh, Christmas. This holiday still remains my favorite one of the year. As a child, it was all about the presents. I recall one year getting very upset because my father had more presents that I did. Come to find out from my mother, the Atari was going to be mine, but she decided to give it to my dad (did I just date myself?).
Thought presents are nice, as a hard working single adult, I have found that over the years, they don't mean as much to me as they once did. Don't get me wrong, I love to give gifts of significance (some thing someone needs or wants) but I speaking of receiving them. Don't get me wrong,I'm a sucker for a surprise.
I believe as we all get older, from time to time, we take stock of our lives, evaluate what is important, and make adjustments/corrections accordingly (by no means am I speaking of a glimmer of a resolution for the upcoming new year). It seems to hit us most and the hardest around Christmas.
I suspect it is a good thing to do so and even better when we are able to take away and do something positive from it. So this year, I'm going to GA for Christmas. Could you be thinking, why is this some thing positive?
Truth be told, since 2006, I spend more time alone during the holidays than I should. It has become somewhat of a safe haven for me. Quite frankly, it feel autonomous and monotonous. It's a cycle I find hard to break on any type of "comfort zone expansion" project.
So what is one to do? What can one do? Why would one want to do anything? My reason can be summed up this way: I just want to have a completely adventurous, passionate, weird life. When I read this, it conjures up so many images and ignites me with a passion I do not want to clench. So, I must ask, how can one do that if they refuse to venture outside their comfort zone? I don't believe it is possible and if you think otherwise, you will reason yourself farther way from the line that separates the mundane from the unknown.
I am far from being where I want to be. However, if I don't start, I won't start. I can't compare myself or my journey with anyone's journey. It is mine and mine alone to walk and experience what lies ahead. I will have expressways to travel and scenic places to enjoy, and places off the beaten path to explore. I will meet people who will pass by, some that will sit for a spell, and others who will grafted into my life.
I'm starting this new chapter of my life and the overriding theme is this: I'm good!
~O.C.
No comments:
Post a Comment