What at morning! I think in all my years being with the children at church, today was truly one of the best. What made it "one of the best"? Well, first of all, instead of having 12+ children in the room, there were only 9. They were quiet and played really well with one another. I'm not saying that the start of the morning wasn't rocky....it was but praise God it settled as quick as it began. They all colored their picture of Daniel (the lesson for the month is about Daniel and the lion's den), they ate their snack, listened to the story (providing much entertaining feedback), and attentively listened to music (though hand motions to songs were mimicked intermittently, nonetheless, there is always ONE who has to have the last word).
I was in rare form today. I was very talkative with the children. We shared plastic fruits and vegetables together as we contemplated on what kind of food each piece of plastic represented. We did run into a quandry as we found a lemon and another yellow piece of plastic that I believe was a grapefruit. Corrah on the other hand, was not 100% convinced it was a grapefruit (only b/c I don't believe she knew what a grapefruit was...I mean serioulsy..she's 2). We did agree that both pieces of fruit were sour.
Snack time for the children is always busy because...well, it ends up on the floor. Today, there would be no exception HOWEVER, I thought that I could get some help from them by asking them if they would pick up the Cheerios off the floor. At times, those guilty of "spilling" their Cheerios often will adopt the practice of the 10 minute rule....they are still game for the next 10 minutes, no matter where they land. In this case, Gavin (who has the anxiety of being left alone in a room with others his age) was playing, talking, coloring, and yes....eating. His chosen way to snack is pouring the Cheerios out on the table. That's fine but shortly after Cheerios meets table, they meet the chair and the floor. As I watched the Cheerios hit the chair and the floor, I said to Gavin, "Please don't eat the ones on the floor." As I was speaking, his little hand was in the process of cleaning up the Cheerios on the chair. I watched and then politely said, "Gavin, are you going to pick up the ones on the floor?". He looked me with his cute little face with big brown eyes, looked down at the floor, back at me, and said, "No". I could not expect anything less than that. With that, I laughed.
After music and clean up, the kids play. I sit back and watched them. You have those that are busy building things out of blocks, using the kitchenette to create tantalizing plastic meals, the slide (most popular) has one little girl enjoying herself whilst not really caring where her other shoe may be, and yet still others just wandering around trying to find the "next fun toy". I can't help but picture God looking at us in the same way I was looking at these children. How he will laugh at us with sheer joy and delight. How he may be shaking his head and chuckling at us at we are trying to learn things. How he will continue to look over and after us while we have no care about anything other than what we are focused on at the moment. He has all these children doing all different things and yet....He knows exactly what each of us needs. There isn't anything we can do or think without Him knowing.
Times like this, I get it. He loves us!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment